Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Lake

Every summer, my best friends and I take a long weekend trip to a lake house on Middle Bass Island. During the miserable winters and dreary, rainy springs that Ohio is so well known for, I constantly remind myself that this annual trip is right around the corner and I will be relaxing poolside, mimosa in hand with my very best friends (who are more like "soulmates") sooner than I think.


Not to sound snobby, pretentious, or uppity, but these friends are truly some of the most wonderful women I have ever met and the bond that we share is one of the most important and special aspects of my life. Basically, my friends are better than yours.


You know when you watch, "Sex and The City" or "Friends" or "Now and Then" and you think to yourself, "Friendships like that do not exist in real life."? 

*DISCLAIMER TO MARIA, KRISTEN, MORGAN, JORDANN, AND MAILEY... I'M ABOUT TO GET REAL SENTIMENTAL WIT' IT!*

Well, I am here today to tell you that they actually do. My group of friends has been inseparable since high school and we have remained close, starting at the time when we were just a group of silly girls and still now, as grown women.

Don't get me wrong, they all drive me absolutely bat shit crazy, but I wouldn't trade them for anything in this whole world.


It's the late night phone calls, catching up on life, love, family, work, heartbreaks; it's the "I'm in town... happy hour... you and me... 30 minutes..."; it's the note and flowers saying "I know today is going to be rough, and I am thinking of you and I am here for you."; and it's the saved spot I know I have in their hearts, and the spot they all have in mine, that makes the friendship we have so irreplaceable. I can count on these girls, day or night and sunshine or rain, to be there for me in any way imaginable, and I would do the same for them without hesitation, in a heartbeat.


I have come home from the lake house with countless hilarious memories; memories that make me laugh so hard I nearly pee my pants when I randomly recall them. 

Kristen getting kick punched by an old, drunk hag. Retracting a dead mouse from the restroom with a golf club. Our late night sober dance parties being secretly filmed. Developing a British accent when talking amongst ourselves. Being chased by ducks in very deep waters. Acquiring the most random pieces of oversized, costume jewelry and bingo hats from complete strangers. Morgan turning into a tomato after being exposed to sunlight for 15 minutes. Bike rides that left us sore for 2 weeks. Capturing tribal hair and salad fingers on film. Going to town on cookie dough logs and apple salad. Maria and Jordann turning into 65 year old gambling addicts upon hearing the word "Keno". Mailey's pirate impressions. Shutting down Frosty's by requesting Jeremih and NSYNC. 

While writing this and recalling these memories, I'm struggling getting any words out and down because I can't hold back the laughter caused by our ridiculousness.

Bottom line, I would like to pay homage to these goofy chicks, let them know how much I appreciate everything they've done for me over the years, and how much I am looking forward to the millions of belly laughs to come. Here's to all future lake trips, hopefully we'll be giggling just as hard with our scooters, walkers, canes, and dentures. I love you all to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...