Monday, April 18, 2011

Want vs. Need

I'd like to give a great big shout out to Eve right now!  You know her.  Forbidden fruit? Garden of Eden? Satan as a snake? Any of that ringing a bell? No? Well... go to church if that's your thing and if it's not, use the idiot proof website known as Google.

Anyways, I'm shouting out to Eve because she is the dumbest girl to ever live, successfully made women look bad for all eternity, plus she added an annoying relative to our family that we all know as Aunt Flow. Thanks girl, really appreciate your lapse in judgement.

Free will is a funny thing when you sit down and think about it. Because, not only do we get to make every tiny decision in our own lives, but I think it makes a lot of people, myself included, get the definitions of the words "want" and "need" completely mixed up.

So, this blog is really just going to be me, reinforcing elementary school vocabulary into my 22 year old brain, because at this point in my life... the meaning of those two words somehow always finds a way to blur itself in my mind. And if I can help out my fellow readers while attempting this, well hey... GO ME!

Let's begin with the wants. Ahhhh... the things that I want in life. You know how much I love lists...


  • I want to be able to eat a car made out chocolate and still maintain Jennifer Aniston's body without lifting a finger.
  • I want to have the brain power of Einstein, and never touch another boring textbook. At this rate, it's not lookin' purty people.
  • I want to wake up in the morning and feel the urge to burn the piles of large unmarked bills that I want to have just laying around my bedroom.
  • I want to be dating Justin Timberlake. And I want to tell people that we're waiting to get engaged until I feel that I've accomplished all the goals I want to achieve in this life, as far as being a single lady goes. All of my independent ladies, you know what I'm talking about!
  • I want to open up a magazine, and freak out after seeing a photo of me at the Grammy's that makes my butt look as big as JLo's.
Now, for my Debbie Downer list.
  • I need to work out. Like really, I've got the capability to be Fun-Sized, but I'm well on my way to King-Sized if I keep this crap up. Sorry chocolate car of my dreams, but I hope you never become a reality for me... unless you bring me a TLC special about my fast track to obesity, in which case, you're more than welcome to come around and stay awhile.
  • I need to be writing two papers. Not blogging. If I were better at realizing the difference between this want and need, then it probably wouldn't take me a decade and a half to graduate. But ehhh, I love you guys too much... I'm gonna give myself this one. I like my 10 year plan anyways, it gives me character.
  • I need to start saving my money so that I have some fingernails left by payday. Seriously, if I had a nickel for every nail biting Thursday I've put myself through... well... I wouldn't be biting my nails over money anymore.
  • I need to stop going for the dudes who I feel are the closest thing to Justin Timberlake that I'll ever get... aka guys who look nice, but are not. They are very, very, very not nice. But man, are they nice to look at?!
  • I need to stop searching for pictures of myself in People Magazine... because that's just weird.

Yes, I know what you're thinking... "Nicole!! You're only young once!". I too have had this satanic thought, and it is thoughts like these which have been my slow demise for the majority of adulthood thus far. Alright, it's not that serious, but it is something that we should all give some serious thought to. I mean, it's ok to give in to a "want" every now and then, but you need to consciously be aware that you may not be making the smartest decision and also be fully prepared for the consequences that are sure to follow and will more than likely come back to bite you in the ass. And when I say you, I of course mean I.

I was going to post this to complain about people who say things like, "Ohmygawd! I need this new Coach bag." or "I have to get the new iPhone!" because we all know folks who do that (if you are one of them, I apologize for complaining about your annoying-ness). When I listen to people speak like that, I get pestered, knowing that their heart won't fall out of their chest if they don't get the things they've convinced themselves they will die without.

However, as I was writing my complaint, I realized I was being quite hypocritical, because I know I say the same exact thing, just not when wishing for material things.

If any of you would like to join me, I've decided to post the definitions of the words "want" and "need" on my bathroom mirror, so that I quit sounding like a complete and total bimbo to the people who actually take the time to listen to the words that spew out of my big fat mouth. 

And I will take them down, once I convince Honda that chocolate is the future of the automobile industry.



1 comment:

  1. Yeah. I don't need that Cadbury Creme Egg sitting in my kitchen, but I sure do want it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...