Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Commute

This morning was beautiful. I love mornings like this morning. Which is weird, because I used to totally and completely loathe waking up early. 

I'd drag my body into the bathroom to shower, feeling that it should be illegal to get out of bed before 11 a.m. I'd be stuffed up, coughing up crap, sore from sleeping wrong. I'd burn my toast and spill my coffee (of course, all over a pair of white pants). So, I'd have to change and I wouldn't have enough time to pack my lunch. I'd get in my car, and my gas tank would be empty. On the road, chimpanzees would replace human drivers. It was raining or sleeting or snowing... EVERY MORNING! Or at least, that's how I saw my reality, at the time.

Recently, something changed. 

Something within me matured, thrived, and grew up. It's actually something I can't quite give a reasoning for, besides the fact that sometimes you just have to sit back and let time pass in your life. Sometimes when you're in a funk, that's all you can do; Allow time to pass in order to gain perspective and inner resolution.

Lately, I don't mind mornings. In fact, I enjoy waking up, getting out of bed, and seizing the day. 

Different brand of coffee, you ask? Possibly. 

But, sometimes it just feels better to push yourself, rather than embrace the lazy angel scheming on your shoulder. Don't get me wrong, being lazy feels fabulous and sometimes, it's just what the doctor ordered. But, I just don't feel the need to bask in an aroma of procrastination as much as I used to.

This morning, I felt freakishly calm, happy, and at peace. Maybe it was the gorgeous sun beaming over the city's skyline, maybe it was the moderate morning temperature outside, maybe it was the shoes I decided to wear. Whatever it was, it was working in my favor. To give you a visual, it was like I was Grace Kelly, pink flowing scarf and immaculate white gloves, driving endlessly in a convertible (although, I am Nicole and I drive a Hyundai, but you feel me?).



For no reason in particular, none of the annoyances that had previously erked me were able to get under my skin. And then, the beauty of the morning pushed me towards a realization. 

I want to do more. And I should. I want to see more. And I really should! More sunsets, more mountains, more concerts, more life. I live in a country jam-packed with a plethora of gorgeous sights to see and wonderful people to meet. I'm going to start watching the sun rise in the morning and I'm going to gaze at the stars at night. I'm going to listen to water washing up on a shore, whenever the chance is presented. Maybe, I'll even ride an elephant one day... who knows?!

After this morning, I feel inspired to experience everything beautiful that this world has to offer me. And I'll be damned if I don't!

1 comment:

  1. Are you by any chance able to tell me what movie that scene is from?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...